The purpose of this “Faculty Handbook” is to describe the roles, expectations and obligations of faculty, and standards of performance.
In addition to describing the academic responsibilities of faculty, this handbook explains the procedures and criteria utilized in annual reviews, contract renewals and promotions, procedures for addressing violations, filing grievances for faculty, and policies on external activities related to research, teaching, and potential conflicts of interest. Equally important, this handbook is a guide to identify ways for faculty development, support and recognition of outstanding performance.
At Koç University, ‘Faculty’ members may generally be in one of the following categories:
- Academic & Research Faculty (Professoriate) are appointed typically as a result of Faculty Searches described in Appendix 16, and their appointments and promotions are presented to the respective Faculty Council, University Executive Council and approved by the President or University Executive Council, ultimately approved the Board of Trustees.
- Such Faculty are responsible for both research and teaching and are typically appointed for 4-year (Assistant Professors) or 5-year terms (Associate Professors and Full Professors at School of Nursing and non-Basic Sciences faculty at the School of Medicine), renewable based on the evaluation of the research scholarship productivity. Note that effective May 2018, all other Full Professors have tenure.
- Full-time Instructors or Lecturers, whose appointments are proposed by the Dean/Director and approved by the President, typically serve for 1-year or 2-year terms, which are extended upon recommendation of the Dean/Director, based on the teaching needs, as approved by the President.
- Full-time Researchers, whose appointments are proposed by the Dean(s) or by the Office of Vice President for Research and Development (VPRD) and approved by the President, typically serve for 1-year, 2-year, or 3-year terms, which are extended upon recommendation of the Dean, based on the research needs of the University or individual Professoriate in the relevant College(s) or research centers. The title of Research Assistant Professor can be given to qualified researchers upon recommendation of the Dean, based on the research needs of the University or the Professoriate in the relevant College(s) or research centers, presented to the Executive Council, and approved by the President. The titles of Research Associate Professor and Research Professor can also be given in exceptional cases.
- Part-time instructors or Lecturers, whose appointments are proposed by the Dean(s) and approved by the President, typically serve for durations less than a full year, and can be re-hired upon recommendation of the Dean, based on the teaching needs in the relevant Department(s) as approved by the President.
In the following, the term ‘Faculty’ is used in default to refer to the Professoriate, with the applicability of the particular discussion to Instructors, Lecturers and other categories explicitly stated when needed.