As the primary language of instruction is English at Koç University, both undergraduate and graduate students need to show proficiency in the English language at a level that allows them to pursue the academic program. The English language proficiency level of the students is assessed through the English language competency examination administered by KU or through documentation attesting scores of nationally or internationally accepted English language examinations at a competency level determined by KU.
The following information summarizes the minimum requirements for proficiency for undergraduate students:
- Institutional TOEFL: 550/4 (Administered once a year in August or September)
- TOEFL IBT: 80/20 on the writing section. We only accept scores from Turkish state universities. If the student takes the exam outside of Turkey, he or she may petition the Executive Council for getting the exam score accepted. (Valid for 2 years)
- YDS / E-YDS: 80 out of 100 (Valid for 5 years)
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English): 60 out of 90. (Valid for 2 years)
- CAE: Grade of C (Valid for 3 years)
Minimum Requirements to Take or to Bring Proficiency Exams
- First Year Students (Fall, Spring, Summer Semesters): GPA of 2.00 in order to take KUEPE or to submit outside exam scores.
- Second Year Students (Fall Semester): GPA of 2.00, or SPA of 2.00 in the Fall semester in order to take KUEPE. No GPA or SPA requirement for the submission of outside exam scores.
- Second Year Students (Spring Semester): GPA of 2.00, or SPA of 2.00 in the Spring semester in order to take KUEPE. No GPA or SPA requirement for the submission of outside exam scores.
- Second Year Students who take leave of absence for one semester will be able to take the KUEPE only if they have a GPA of 2.00 since they will not have an SPA of that semester.
- Second Year Students (after Spring Semester): These students have completed two years in the ELC and are eligible to take three amnesty exams. If they choose, they may study in the ELC in summer semester, but are not required to do so. They are eligible without any GPA or SPA requirement to take the following amnesty exams:
- KUEPE at the end of summer semester (late July)
- TOEFL exam which the ELC administers in August or September
- KUEPE in early September
Students who completed two years at ELC may also take outside exams as an amnesty exam after their Spring semester. If the student does not have a satisfactory score by the time the Amnesty Exam period is completed, the student must leave the university. ELC score and test center requirements for all ELC students apply as well to outside exams taken as amnesty exams. All proficiency exams accepted by the ELC may also serve as Amnesty Exams.
Proficiency level for graduate level candidates are announced on the Institutes’ websites. If a candidate does not have the required proficiency level, he/she may be admitted to the ELC program before starting his/her graduate career.